Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Whole Wheat Biscuits

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white bean flour
1 T. baking powder (no aluminum)
1 t. sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil (liquid)
1 egg (organic)
1 cup milk (any kind - I used rice)

Stir dry ingredients together, reserving 1/4 cup wheat flour. Cut in coconut oil, then mix in milk and egg. Spread reserved 1/4 cup flour on the counter, put dough on it, and knead by hand until dough is smooth. Roll dough out 1" thick, cut in circles, bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes 12-14 biscuits.

Above is how the recipe is from the GSG. Here's what I found while making it:
The dough was so moist that I knew that there would be no way to knead it so I added another 1/2 cup of wheat flour to see if that would help. It still seemed too moist so I just did drop biscuits. Then I made another batch thinking that the "liquid" on the oil should say "not liquid". It was a little less moist but still didn't seem like I could roll it so I added 1/4 cup wheat flour and 1/4 cup bean flour because that's what I had left. I was afraid to put in any more flour because I thought it would throw off the proportions too much and not raise. So again I did drop biscuits.

Drop biscuits are way easier than rolling out but food is a visual thing and when Gabe ate one he said "that's the worst cookie I've ever had". When I told him they weren't cookies, but biscuits he said "okay, can I have another?" This would be a great healthy recipe to take to church dinners, friends houses, etc. but it would really be better if they looked like biscuits. If anyone experiments with more flour and rolling them out, please post your comments here to let us know your results.

By - Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment