Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dehydrated Almond Toast

Made by Deanne for June 2011

From "I am Grateful" cookbook from Gratitude Cafe

Ingredients:
1/2 cup soaked almonds (soak for 12 or 24 hours)
2 cups almond nut milk pulp (I thought using pulp made it a little dry, so I would use less pulp and more soaked almonds next time.... or just use soaked almonds and grind some finely and some medium... and add a little more vegetable pulp)
1/3 cup flax meal (grind flax seeds in vitamix)
I cup veggie pulp (I used just carrot but next time I would try a little carrot/celery/kale in combination)
1 teaspoon of garlic, crushed (I use a mortar and pestle) to a paste
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 cup carrot juice (or whatever juice you have left from making the veggie pulp)*

*I use my Omega juicer to obtain juice/pulp.

Method:

Chop almonds to different consistency (fine, medium and a little chunky)
Mix all ingredients except carrot juice.
Add carrot juice slowly to make a bread dough consistency.
Roll it out into a log (say 3 inches wide and 2 inches high).
Slice (like a loaf of bread) and put slices on a dehydrator grid.

Dehydrate at 145 degrees for 1 hour and then lower the temperature to 115 degrees.
Dehydrate till crisp (12 to 24 hours, depending on thickness and moisture content).

Variations on this recipe.

Rosemary Garlic: add 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic, 1/4 cup olive oil and 3 tablespoons of dried rosemary.

Pumperickel Rye: 1 tablespoon caraway seed, 3/4 cup raw carob powder, 2 tablespoons agave nectar

Sundried Tomato Basil: 12 sun-dried tomato halves, 20 large basil leaves (chiffonade the basil), 1/4 cup olive oil

No comments:

Post a Comment